Lyla Hoffine Collection
Scope and Contents
The Lyla Hoffine Collection holds drafts and proofs for children's titles written by Hoffine, primarily fiction written about Native American characters. The collection also holds original printing plates for Jennie's Mandan Bowl, a script and photos from a television appearance on the Midwest Program on Airborne Television Instruction in 1961, as well as some biographical information written by Lyla's cousin, Helen K. Ackmann
- circa 1957-1987
- Hoffine, Lyla, 1897-1984 (Person)
- Ackmann, Helen K. (Person)
- Midwest Program on Airborne Television Instruction (Broadcaster, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Lyla Hoffine was born in 1897 near Highland, Wisconsin and died in 1984 in Tucson, Arizona. She had written six children's books, and "because of her skills as a writer of children's books," as well as those in researching "Indian lore, she was asked to participate in the Midwest Program on Airborne Television Instruction at Purdue University, Lafayette, IN."
Source: Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2002.
1.2 Cubic Feet (3 hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The Lyla Hoffine Collection contains typescripts and production materials for children's books written by Hoffine, as well as some biographical material.
Collection Guide arranged alphabetically by work title, with biographical information at the end.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Lyla Hoffine, with biographical information donated by Helen and Glenn Ackmann.
- Arikara Indians -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hidatsa women -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letterpress printing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mandan Indians -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Printing plates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Television broadcasting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Television in education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ackmann, Glenn D. (Person)
- Lyla Hoffine Collection, circa 1957-1987
- Elizabeth Langley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- October 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library