Allen Lewis Collection
Scope and Contents
The Allen Lewis materials consist of several woodcut illustrations for Paul Bunyan, as well as other miscellaneous prints.
- circa 1925, undated
- Lewis, Allen, 1873-1957 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Allen Lewis was an artist who was born in 1873 in Mobile, Alabama and raised in Buffalo, New York. He studied at the Buffalo Art Students League and also traveled to Paris to study. He eventually returned to the United States and set up a studio in New York. In addition to his art and illustrations, he taught at places such as the Art Students League and the New School for Social Research in New York. He died in New Jersey in 1957.
"Allen Lewis Biography." Annex Galleries. Santa Rosa, CA: Annex Galleries. www.annexgalleries.com/artists/biography/1393/Lewis/Allen.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of prints by illustrator Allen Lewis.
- Bunyan, Paul (Legendary character) (Depicted)
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Woodcuts (prints) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Allen Lewis Collection, circa 1925, undated
- David E Byer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library