Alice and Martin Provensen Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains mostly illustrations done for The Mother Goose Book. Also included are an ink and watercolor drawing done in response to an invitation and one color page proof for Funny Bunny.
- Provensen, Alice (Person)
- Provensen, Martin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Martin Provensen was born July 10, 1916, in Chicago, IL. Alice Twitchell was born August, 14, 1918, also in Chicago. They met on a movie lot while working for a film for the U.S. Navy, and married in Washington, DC, in 1944. They spent more that 40 years creating books for children. Their critically acclaimed work won many awards, including the 1984 Caldecott Medal for The Glorious Flight: Across the Channel with Louis Bleriot. Prior to their marriage, Martin worked in the story department at Walt Disney Studios and Alice was employed at Walter Lantz Studios. Martin died in 1987 and Alice died in 2018.
"Alice Provensen (1918-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 70. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1993.
Language of Materials
The collection contain illustrative materials by Alice and Martin Provensen.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The material in this collection was given to the University of Minnesota by Alice and Martin Provensen.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mother Goose Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nursery rhymes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tempera paintings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Alice and Martin Provensen Papers, 1950-1974
- Larry Peterson, April 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library