Elisa Kleven Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photocopies of editorial correspondence and dummies for Abuela and The Paper Princess, written and/or illustrated by Elisa Kleven.
- 1990 - 1993
- Kleven, Elisa (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Elisa Kleven is an author and illustrator of several children's books. She was born on October 14, 1958 in Los Angeles. She received her B.A. from the Univerity of California at Berkeley in 1981. In 1983, she received her teaching credentials and went on to teach fourth grade and art. A self-taught artist, her unique multi-media illustrations have brought her much success and numerous awards. Kleven once told SATA: "A comment I hear often about my work is, 'It looks like you were having fun when you made this!' I never know exactly how to respond. I agonize a lot over my stories and my pictures." Her illustrations have also be described as "an excuberant jumble of detail and pattern" and "a tasty visual smorgasbord." Her illustrations are often featured in books about Latin-American culture.
Kleven is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, Amnesty International, World Wildlife Fund. She has two children, Mia and Ben, two cats, Luna and Chihiro, and a dog named Jenny. She lives in Albany, California.
Biographical sources: "Elisa Kleven." Something About the Author. Vol. 173. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2007. Elisa Kleven's website: http://www.elisakleven.com/index.html
Language of Materials
This collection contains photocopies of production material for two children's books written and/or illustrated by Elisa Kleven.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grandmothers -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hispanic Americans -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Imagination -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Princesses -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elisa Kleven Papers, 1990-1993
- CLRC Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- January 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library