Blair Lent Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for eighteen titles published between 1964 and 1998, and some artwork for a Durr Reader published in 1969. The collection includes illustrations done in a variety of media, and many with color separations, as well as studies, dummies, proofs, notes, and typescripts.
- Creation: 1964 - 1998
- Lent, Blair (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Blair Lent was born January 22, 1930 in Boston, Massachusetts. He graduated from the Museum of Fine Arts School of Art in 1953 and later studied in Switzerland and Italy. In the 1950s, he worked as an assistant art director and creative designer, and in the 1960s began illustrating and writing children's books. Many of his ideas for books and illustrations were inspire by folklore and stories about Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa, and his own travel experiences. He received the Caldecott Medal in 1973 for The Funny Little Woman, and Caldecott Honors for Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Skyin 1969, The Angry Moon(1971), and The Wave(1965). Lent worked in a variety of media including cardboard cuts, pen and ink and wash drawings, and acrylic painting. Lent died in 2009 in Massachusetts.
3.28 Cubic Feet (7 boxes [1 record carton and 6 flat boxes,] and 4 oversize rolls)
Language of Materials
Blair Lent's papers contain material related to his work as an author and illustrator of children's picture books.
The collection is arranged into two series. Writing and publications are arranged alphabetically by publication title.
- Writings and Publications
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Blair Lent.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Children's literature, American
- Illustration of books -- 20th century
- Illustrators -- United States
- Sea stories
Genre / Form
- Drawings (visual works)
- Manuscripts for publication
- Mixed media works
- acrylic paintings (visual works)
- watercolors (paintings)
- wood engravings (prints)
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction
- Baba Yaga (Legendary character) -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's stories, American
- Circus -- Juvenile fiction
- Delaware Indians -- Juvenile fiction
- Deserts -- Juvenile fiction
- Fairy Tales
- Folklore -- India
- Folklore -- Japan
- Folklore -- Nigeria
- Folklore -- Russia
- Islands -- Juvenile fiction
- Mother Goose
- Nursery rhymes
- Quakers -- Juvenile fiction
- Tall tales
- Tlingit Indians -- Folklore
- Blair Lent Papers, 1964-1998
- David E Byer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Carter Thurmond. Some description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library