N. M. Bodecker Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains production material for several dozen books created by Bodecker. The collection includes both manuscript and illustrative material, with an emphasis on the latter. The manuscript material includes holographs and typescripts, and there are also holograph notebooks for a number of unpublished titles, talks and classes given by Bodecker, miscellaneous autobiographical material, and unpublished poetry and prose. The illustrative material included illustrations done in a variety of media, some with separations, sketches, dummies, proofs, and photocopies.
- Creation: 1953 - 1992
- Bodecker, N. M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
N.M. [ Niels Mogens] Bodecker was born January 13, 1922 in Copenhagen, Denmark. He studied and served in the military in Denmark during the 1930s and 1940s and published his first poetry and book illustrations there during the 1940s. N.M. Bodecker came to the United States in 1952 and illustrated his first American children's book, Half Magic, by Edward Eager, in 1954. For the next three decades, N.M. Bodecker illustrated a number of books by other authors, particularly Edward Eager and Robert Kraus. In 1972 he published his own story, Miss Jaster's Garden. N.M. Bodecker also wrote verse for children, especially nonsense verse that drew on his own childhood "recollections" He also translated Danish verses into English in his self-illustrated book It's Raining Said John Twaining. Bodecker died on February 1, 1988 in Hanover, New Hampshire, and his last book, Water Pennies, was published posthumously in 1991.
9.6 Cubic Feet (13 boxes [7 record cartons, 1 half-hollinger, 5 flat boxes])
Language of Materials
N.M. Bodecker's papers focus on his work as an illustrator and author of children's books. The collection contains production material several dozen titles by Bodecker, including both written and illustrative material.
Collection is arranged into three series. Publications are arranged alphabetically by book title.
- Other writings
- Miscellaneous and personal materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the estate of N. M. Bodecker.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Drawings (visual works)
- Manuscripts for publication
- Nonsense verses, English -- Juvenile literature
- watercolors (paintings)
- Alphabet books
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, Danish -- 20th century
- Bedtime -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Children's poetry, American
- Children's stories, American
- Cousins -- Juvenile fiction
- Dolls -- Juvenile fiction
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Fantasy fiction
- Gardening -- Juvenile fiction
- Humorous stories
- Knights and knighthood -- Juvenile fiction
- Magic -- Juvenile fiction
- Mice -- Juvenile fiction
- Musicians -- Juvenile fiction
- Nursery rhymes
- Picture books
- Space and time -- Juvenile fiction
- Survival -- Juvenile fiction
- Time travel -- Juvenile fiction
- N.M. Bodecker Papers, 1952-1992
- Christina Cowan and Nancy Larsen
- 1996 and 2004
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- September 2018: Reprocessed by Carter Lynn Thurmond
- February 2023: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library