Cynthia Rylant Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains drafts, proofs, and related material for five children's books in the Henry and Mudge series, the Christmas book Children of Christmas, and a draft titled "The Finest House," unverified as published.
- 1986-1988, undated
- Rylant, Cynthia (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Cynthia Rylant was born June 6, 1954 in Hopewell, Virginia. She graduated from Morris Harvey College in 1975 and later received a master's degree from Marshall University in 1976 and a MLS from Kent State University in 1982. She worked as a part-time English instructor, children's librarian, and lecturer before becoming a full-time writer. In 1982, she published her first picture book When I Was Young in the Mountains.
Cynthia Rylant has continued to write picture books and has published fiction for older children and young adults as well as poetry and her autobiography. Rylant received a Newbery Honor citation for a A Fine White Dust (1986) in 1987 and the Newbery Award for Missing May(1992) in 1993.
Biographical sources: Something About the Author. Volume76, pp 193.199. Twentieth-Century Children's Writers. 3rd edition, pp 846-848.
Language of Materials
Contains drafts related to several children's titles written by author Cynthia Rylant, primarily in the Henry and Mudge series.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Cynthia Rylant.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christmas stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dogs -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cynthia Rylant Papers, 1986-1988, undated
- Christina Cowan and Sharlene Murphy
- 1999, 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library