Jane Werner Watson Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains typescripts, hollographs, correspondence, clippings, notes, research material, sketches and storyboards, for children's books written by Jane Werner Watson, including her Little Golden Books.
- 1928 - 1996
- Watson, Jane Werner, 1915-2004 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jane Werner Watson was born on July 11, 1915 in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. She earned her B.A. degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1936. Jane Watson was one of the first editors for the original Golden Books series published by Western Publishing in conjunction with Simon and Schuster. She was a major contributor of the Golden Books based upon the Walt Disney films. In addition, she wrote a series of books picture books for children in India and a series titled "Living in Today's World" that introduced cultures from around the world to American children. She died in 2004.
"Jane Werner Watson (1915-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 54. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1989.
3.75 Cubic Feet (3 record cartons)
Language of Materials
Collection contains production material for children's books written by Jane Werner Watson.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jane Werner Watson.
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Little golden books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Science -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jane Werner Watson Papers, 1928-1996
- Karen Spilman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2016: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated
- March 2018: Material added to the collection by Carter Lynn Thurmond.
- February 2021: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library