E.B. (Earl Bradley) Lewis Papers
The collection consists of production materials for fifty children's books illustrated by E.B. Lewis.
- Creation: 1993-circa 2010
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Earl Bradley (E.B.) Lewis was born on December 16, 1956, in Philadelphia, PA. As a child he attended the Saturday Morning Art League with Clarence Wood, before majoring in Graphic Design, Illustration, and Art Education at the Temple University Tyler School of Art. His first children's book illustrations were created for Jane Kurtz's Fire on the Mountain, and since then has illustrated over seventy books for children. In 2003 he received a Coretta Scott King Award for Talkin' About Bessie, written by Nikki Grimes, and he has received multiple Coretta Scott King Honors, as well as a Caldecott Honor. He lives in New Jersey.
"About." E.B. Lewis personal website. Accessed August 2023. https://eblewis.com/about/.
"E.B. Lewis." Simon and Schuster author page. Accessed August 2023. https://www.simonandschuster.com/authors/E-B-Lewis/1763206.
5 Cubic Feet (7 boxes [3 record cartons and 4 flat boxes])
Language of Materials
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased by the University of Minnesota from E.B. Lewis.
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
- Illustration of books -- 20th century
- Illustrators -- United States
- Robin Hood (Legendary character) -- Juvenile literature
Genre / Form
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Air pilots -- Juvenile literature
- Artists -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- Baseball stories
- Bicycles and bicycling -- Juvenile fiction
- Bildungsromans -- Juvenile fiction
- Boxing stories
- Children's literature -- Illustrations
- Christmas stories
- Country life -- Juvenile fiction
- Dance -- Juvenile fiction
- English language -- Alphabet -- Juvenile literature
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Father and child -- Juvenile fiction
- Fathers and daughters -- Juvenile fiction
- Folklore -- Juvenile literature
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Grandmothers -- Juvenile fiction
- Hanukkah stories
- Illustration of books -- 21st century
- Imagination -- Juvenile fiction
- Jazz -- Juvenile fiction
- Mental illness -- Juvenile fiction
- Mother and child -- Juvenile fiction
- Moving, household -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Pigeons -- Juvenile fiction
- Puerto Ricans -- Juvenile fiction
- Race relations -- Juvenile fiction
- Ramadan -- Juvenile fiction
- Sex role -- Juvenile fiction
- Slavery -- Juvenile fiction
- Underground Railroad -- Juvenile fiction
- E.B. (Earl Bradley) Lewis Papers, 1993-circa 2010
- David E Byer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- August 2023: Collection reprocessed and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library