Kate Weil Kolchin Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, speech typescripts, and award information from author Norma Klein to Kate Weil Kolchin, as well as correspondence from Norma Klein's mother, Sadie Klein. The final series in the collection contains contracts, correspondence, and a crossword book dummy from the 1920s, related to children's puzzle books published by Rosetta Goldsmith and Kate Kolchin's mother, Sylvia Loeb Weil.
- Kolchin, Kate Weil, 1920-2013 (Collector, Person)
- Klein, Norma, 1938-1989 (Person)
- Klein, Sadie (Person)
- Weil, Sylvia Loeb, 1899-1983 (Person)
- Goldsmith, Rosetta (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Sylvia Loeb (Weil) was born in 1899 in Chicago, IL and married Herbert Weil in 1919. An artist, she taught at the Walden School in New York City, and, after retiring worked at a studio on West 68th Street. She published several puzzle and quiz books with Rosetta Goldsmith in the 1920s and 30s. She died in October 1983 in New York.
Kate Weil Kolchin was born to Sylvia Loeb and Herbert Weil in 1920, and attended The Walden School, New York University, and Columbia Teachers' College. She married Ellis Kolchin in 1940 and worked for the New York Department of Day Care, and supervised student teachers at City College. She died in 2013.
Norma Klein was born in 1938 and New York City, and is well known for her books, written for a wide variety of ages from children to adults, including Sunshine, and Mom, the Wolfman and Me. She died in 1989. Her mother, Sadie Klein, died in 2008 at age 101.
.2 Cubic Feet (1 half hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The Kate Weil Kolchin Collection contains material related to author Norma Klein and her mother, Sadie Klein. The collection also contains material related to puzzle books published by Rosetta Goldsmith and Kate Kolchin's mother, Sylvia Loeb Weil.
The Collection is arranged into three series.
- Norma Klein Material
- Sadie Klein Material
- Sylvia Loeb Weil and Rosetta Goldsmith Material
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Peter Kolchin
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Crossword puzzles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kolchin, Peter (Donor, Person)
- Kate Weil Kolchin Collection, 1924-2002
- Caitlin Marineau
- August 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library