Jane Kurtz Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains written production materials for children's books written by Kurtz, including typescripts, correspondence, clipping, proofs, notes, dummies, and related items. There is also a small amount of material related to Kurtz's nonprofit organization Ethiopia Reads, and Ready Set Go Books, which publishes easy readers in local Ethiopian languages.
- Creation: 1984 - 2017
- Kurtz, Jane (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Jane Kurtz was born April 17, 1952, in Portland, Oregon, and raised by her missionary parents in Ethiopia. Kurts earned her BA from Monmouth College and an MA from the University of North Dakota. She became an author of children's books, and a high school and university teacher. The author of several dozen books, Kurtz writes fiction for children, and nonfiction for both children and adults. In addition, she is the founder of the nonprofit organization Ethiopia Reads which works to create libraries, provide books, and support literacy efforts for children in Ethiopia. Kurtz lives in Portland, Oregon.
Biographical Sources: "Jane Kurtz (1952-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 327. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2018.
6.25 Cubic Feet (5 record cartons)
Language of Materials
The collection contains written production materials for children's books written by Jane Kurtz, as well as other related professional materials.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by series or publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jane Kurtz.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Columbus, Christopher -- Juvenile fiction (Depicted, Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Anansi (Legendary character) -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Bicycles and bicycling -- Juvenile fiction
- Blind -- Juvenile fiction
- Children's stories, American
- Families -- Juvenile fiction
- Fantasy fiction
- Fathers and daughters -- Juvenile fiction
- Floods -- Juvenile fiction
- Folklore -- Ethiopia
- Folklore -- Ghana
- Folklore -- Peru
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction
- Immigrants -- Juvenile fiction
- Incas -- Juvenile fiction
- Kidnapping -- Juvenile fiction
- Menstruation -- Juvenile fiction
- Moving, household -- Juvenile fiction
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- Juvenile fiction
- Outdoor recreation -- Juvenile fiction
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- Juvenile fiction
- Parent and child -- Juvenile fiction
- People with disabilities -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- Pigeons -- Juvenile fiction
- Rain and rainfall -- Juvenile fiction
- Sex role -- Juvenile fiction
- Survival -- Juvenile fiction
- Zoos -- Juvenile fiction
- Jane Kurtz Papers, 1984-2017
- Jim Eyer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- April 2017: Collection reprocessed and finding aid updated
- June 2019: New material added and collection guide updated by Caitlin Marineau
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library