Kate McMullan Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the athor's documents, reviews, promotional pieces and drafts of 11 of her picture books and chapter books.
- 1994 - 2014
- McMullan, Kate (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Kate McMullan was born and raised in St. Louis Missouri, where she fell in love with the act of reading and writing at a young age. After attending college and graduate school, she began her teaching career, but found that she did not have the time that she desired, to write. She then decided to move to New York City, where worked in publishing by day and on her writing by night. In 1977, her first children's book came out and in 1979, she married illustrator, Jim McMullan. Since then, McMullan has written over 50 books, including picture books, middle school chapter books,and nonfiction. And she has even collaborated with her husband, in her books, "I Stink!", "I'm Dirty!", "I'm Mighty!" and more. Currently, McMullan continues to write in New York with her family. She also teaches writing for children at New York University's School of Continuing and Professional Education and is a member of the New School's MFA Writing Program.
Information sourced from: "Kate McMullan." Scholastic. Accessed 2016. http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/contributor/kate-mcmullan.
2 Linear Feet (2 record cartons )
Language of Materials
This collection contains production material related to children's books written by Kate McMullan.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by title.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 21st century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Humorous stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Kate McMullan Papers, 1994-2014
- Katelyn Ostby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library