Lawrence Beall Smith Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection includes a miscellaneous oil painting and a charcoal or pastel and tempera illustration from Mary's Star.
- Smith, Lawrence Beall, 1909- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Lawrence Beall Smith was an artist and lithographer. He was born in 1909 and studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and University of Chicago. He worked as both a professional artist and illustrator, and also created war posters during World War II. He died in 1989.
Language of Materials
The collection includes an oil painting and a single charcoal or pastel and tempera illustration for Mary's Star.
Oil painting was a gift from Barbara Jauquet-Kalinoski. Mary's Star illustration was previously held by the Kerlan Collection.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mixed media works Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oil paintings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lawrence Beall Smith Collection, undated
- CLRC staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library