Sara Schwebel Papers on Scott O'Dell
Scope and Contents
Collation fo the extant typescripts of Scott O'Dell's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins held at the Kerlan Collection (two drafts) and the Free Library of Philadelphia. Drafts were used to research and create the annotated version of "Island of the Blue Dolphins: The Complete Reader's Edition," edited by Schwebel and published by University of California Press in 2016
- Between 2012 and 2016
- Schwebel, Sara L. (Editor, Person)
- O'Dell, Scott, 1898-1989 (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Sara Schwebel was born in 1975 and earned her BA in History from Yale University, and her PhD from Harvard in History of American Civilization. She is currently an Associate Professor of Englsih Language and Literature and the University of South Carolina. She edited the print critical edition of Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins, published in 2016.
See the Scott O'Dell Papers for information on O'Dell.
.2 Cubic Feet (1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Contains collation of typescripts for Island of the Blue Dolphins, created while researching an annotated critical edition of the book, published in 2016.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Sara L. Schwebel
Existence and Location of Originals
Original Scott O'Dell typescripts are held in the Scott O'Dell Papers at the University of Minnesota, and the Philadelphia Free Library.
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Islands -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- O'Dell, Scott, 1898-1989 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Survival -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sara Schwebel Papers on Scott O'Dell
- Caitlin Marineau
- November 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library