Dawn Langley Simmons Papers
Scope and Contents
Contains corrected typescripts and page proofs related to titles written by Dawn Langley Simmons (some titles originally published under the name Gordon Langley Hall).
- Creation: circa 1955-1970
- Simmons, Dawn Langley (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Dawn Langley Simmons was born circa 1922 in England. Her birth name was Gordon Langley Hall, and she published works for over a decade under that name. In 1946 she moved to Canada and lived for a period on the Ojibway reservation, which inspired one of her first books Me Papoose Sitter. After traveling back to England for a period, she then moved to the United States, where she published many books, and became known for her biographies. She eventually settled in South Carolina. She married John-Paul Simmons in 1969 and they remained married until 1982. Simmons died on September 18, 2000.
2.9 Cubic Feet (2 record cartons and 1 hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Contains typescripts and related material for books by Dawn Langley Simmons.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dawn Langley Simmons.
- Margaret, Princess, Countess of Snowdon, 1930-2002 (Person)
- Lincoln, Mary Todd, 1818-1882 (Person)
- Johnson, Lady Bird, 1912-2007 (Person)
- Osceola, Seminole chief, 1804-1838 (Person)
- Ream, Vinnie, 1847-1914 (Person)
- Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, 1929-1994 (Person)
- Judson, Ann Hasseltine, 1789-1826 (Person)
- Judson, Adoniram, 1788-1850 (Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- Dawn Langley Simmons Papers, circa 1955-1970
- Caitlin Marineau
- December 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- December 2016: Collection reprocessed, collection merged with Gordon Hall Papers, and new finding aid created
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library