Ruth Stiles Gannett Papers
Scope and Contents
The Ruth Stiles Gannett Papers consist of one folder of material that contains the original first draft manuscript from the book My Father’s Dragon, as well as artwork by children, inspired by the book.
- circa 1948, undated
- Gannett, Ruth Stiles (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ruth Stiles Gannett Kahn is an American author of children’s books. The book she is best known for is My Father’s Dragon, which was illustrated by her stepmother, Ruth Chrisman Gannett. She was born in 1923 in New York, NY, and grauated from Vassar College in 1944. My Father's Dragon, her debut novel, was published in 1948 and received a Newbery Honor. She wrote two sequels to the novel, as well as two other works for children.
Information sourced from: "Ruth Stiles Gannett." Something About the Author. Vol. 3. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1972.
Language of Materials
This collection contains one folder of material related to the book My Father’s Dragon.
- Animals -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dragons -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ruth Stiles Gannett Papers, circa 1948, undated
- Kristell Benson
- February 8, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2020: Description updated by Caitlin Marineau.
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library