Joe Lasker Papers
Scope and Contents
The Joe Lasker contribution to the Kerlan Collection includes illustrative production materials for 30 titles, including 2 films. Lasker also contributed written manuscript materials for 8 titles. In addition to production manuscripts, Lasker included dummies in various states with pasteup holograph, typescript, or page proof texts.
- 1960 - 1983
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Leon Lasker was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1919. He began studying at night classes at Cooper Union art school at sixteen, while still in high school, and received two honorable mentions in a mural competition. This led to an opportunity to paint murals at two U.S. post offices. He was drafted in 1941, and after his discharge in 1945, he twice attended Yaddo, an artists’ retreat in Saratga Springs. He won the Prix de Rome fellowship and spent two years in Italy. Returning to New York, he worked as a freelance illustrator, then as a visiting professor at the University of Illinois, Urbana. In the 1960s he began illustrating children’s books, working first with Miriam Schlein. He later turned to writing his own books for illustration, beginning with Mothers Can Do Anything (1972). Lasker died in 2015.
"Joe Lasker (1919-)." Something About the Author. Vol. 83. Detroit, MI: Gale, 1996.
3.11 Cubic Feet (8 boxes (1 hollinger and 7 flat boxes))
Language of Materials
This collection contains both production materials from over 30 titles either illustrated by or written and illustrated by Joe Lasker.
The collection is arranged first by illustrated versus written and illustrated works by Joe Lasker and then alphabetically by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Joe Lasker.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's literature, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's stories, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Illustration of books -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Picture books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- paintings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- watercolors (paintings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Joe Lasker Papers, 1960-1983
- Kristell Benson (2018)
- April 5, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library