Children's Literature Poster Collection
Scope and Contents
The Children's Literature Poster Collection contains various posters from the mid-20th century and forward related to children's books and literature. The collection includes Children's Book Council Book Week and reading posters, New York Herald Tribune Spring Book Festival advertisements, various posters related to other book weeks and festivals, including Catholic Book Week and Young Canada Book Week. In addition, the collection holds some international reading posters, various publisher's and book stores' advertising posters, event and exhibit posters related to children's literature or designed by children's illustrators, some art prints and posters, and many posters advertising individual picture books.
- Creation: Undated (20th century)
- University of Minnesota. Children's Literature Research Collection (Collector, Organization)
- Children's Book Council (New York, N. Y.) (Organization)
- New York Herald Tribune (Firm) (Organization)
- Hoyle, Karen Nelson (Collector, Person)
- Kerlan, Irvin, 1912-1963 (Collector, Person)
Language of Materials
The majority of the posters are in English. There is a variety of other languages within the international posters.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
9 file drawers
The collection contains various posters collected by the department during the 20th century, including Book Week posters, international posters, art prints, and book advertising posters.
The collection is loosely divided into 7 series:
1) Children's Book Council banner/strip posters and related material
2) Book Week and book festival posters
3) International posters
4) Various reading and publisher's posters
5) Event and exhibit posters
6) Children's literature art prints and posters
7) Picture book advertising posters
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Some posters may have originally been collected by Dr. Irvin Kerlan, while additional posters were collected by department staff and Karen Nelson Hoyle during her tenure as the curator of the Children's Literature Research Collections.
- Children's Literature Poster Collection
- Caitlin Marineau
- October 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library