Deborah Hopkinson Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains drafts, correspondence, research, proofs, and related materials for children's books written by author Deborah Hopkinson. Her papers also contain material related to her magazine articles and stories, primarily ones featured in Cricket, unpublished stories, and some professional writings from her career in development and philanthropy organizations.
- Creation: 1981 - 2016
- Hopkinson, Deborah (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Deborah Hopkinson was born in February 1952 in Lowell, MA. She earned a BA in English from the University of Massachusetts and an MA in Asian Studies from the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. The author of dozens of books for young people, including picture books and middle grade books, a significant amount of her writing is also focused on nonfiction topics. In addition to her writing, Hopkinson has worked in administration and development for much of her career. She currently lives in Oregon.
"Hopkinson, Deborah, 1952-." Something About the Author. Vol. 356. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2020.
"Bio." Deborah Hopkinson personal website. Accessed May 2021. deborahhopkinson.com/pages/bio.
2.8 Cubic Feet (3 boxes [2 record cartons and 1 flat box])
Language of Materials
Contains drafts and production material related to children's books and other writings by Deborah Hopkinson.
The collection guide is arranged into two series. Publications and subseries beneath these are arranged alphabetically.
- Published Books
- Articles, other writings, and miscellaneous
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Deborah Hopkinson.
- Potter, Beatrix, 1866-1943 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882 -- Juvenile fiction (Depicted, Person)
- Henson, Matthew Alexander, 1866-1955 -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
- Obama, Barack -- Family -- Juvenile literature (Depicted, Person)
translation missing: en.enumerations.subject_term_type.Topical
Genre / Form
- African American explorers -- Biography -- Juvenile literature
- African American soldiers -- Juvenile fiction
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- 20th century -- Juvenile literature
- Astronomers -- Juvenile fiction
- Authors, American -- 20th century
- Authors, American -- 21st century
- Baseball stories
- Bees -- Juvenile fiction
- Brigands and robbers -- Juvenile fiction
- Cooks -- United States -- Juvenile fiction
- Cotton picking -- Social aspects -- United States -- History -- Juvenile literature
- Empire State Building (New York, N.Y.) -- Design and construction -- Juvenile fiction
- Farm life -- Juvenile fiction
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Juvenile fiction
- Picture books
- San Francisco Earthquake and Fire, Calif., 1906 -- Juvenile fiction
- Titanic (steamship) -- Juvenile literature
- Deborah Hopkinson papers, 1981-2016
- Caitlin Marineau
- May 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library