Stephen Savage Papers
Scope and Contents
The Stephen Savage papers contain linoblocks used to create the art for various editorial illustrations, as well as the children's books The Father's are Coming Home, Polar Bear Night, and Polar Bear Morning. Also included are several paintings Savage created as a youth, between 1975 and 1980.
- circa 1975-circa 2013
- Savage, Stephen, 1965- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Author and illustrator Stephen Savage was born in Los Angeles in 1965 and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He earned a BA in art history from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and an MFA from the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He is a children's book illustrator and author, as well as editorial artist for publications including the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. Since 2001 he has taught illustration at the School of Visual Arts. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.
"Savage, Stephen." Something About the Author. Vol. 377. Detroit, MI: Gale, 2022.
Stephen Savage personal website. Accessed March 2022. https://www.savageillustrator.com/about.
3.5 Cubic Feet (4 boxes [1 record carton and 3 flat boxes])
Language of Materials
The collection contains linoblocks for children's books and editorial art created by Stephen Savage.
Collection guide arranged alphabetically by publication title with Editorial illustrations and Juvenilia at the end.
- Children's literature -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fathers -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustration of books -- 21st century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Linoleum blocks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Magazine illustration -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polar bear -- Juvenile fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- juvenilia (object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stephen Savage papers, circa 1975-circa 2013
- Caitlin Marineau
- March 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Children's Literature Research Collections Collecting Area
Suite 113, Elmer L. Andersen Library