Austria. State Archives (Staatsarchiv. Wien) records
Records (1848-1918) of the Austrian Staatsarchiv consist of consular dispatches, telegrams, police reports, and correspondence pertaining to emigrants from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Included are communications and annual immigration reports from the Austro-Hungarian consulates in Canada, Germany, the United States, Latin America, the South Slav lands, and European cities. Reports and correspondence contain information on a wide variety of topics, including (but not limited to) analysis of immigrant reporting, reports of espionage, immigration legislation, accounts of natural disasters and relief efforts, reports on return migration, and on Austrian immigrant groups. Annual migration reports (1906-1909) are broken down by regions and states. The reports detail immigrants living conditions, shipping reports, and size and flow of immigrant groups from Austria-Hungary. Reports from the years 1904-1916 include the above as well as Magyar consular reports, descriptions of the climate and geography of various regions, and investigations of steamship companies. Reports concentrate on Austro-Hungarian immigrants in the southern states.
- Osterreichisches Staatsarchiv. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
32 Linear Feet
- Consular reports -- Austria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Immigrants -- Political activity. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radicalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Steamboat lines -- Passenger lists. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Work environment. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English