Egidio Clemente papers
Papers (1925-1970) of Clemente Egidio (b. 1899), an Italian American editor and journalist, relate mostly to publication of the labor magazine La Parola del Popolo, the organ of the Italian Socialist Federation, of which he was editor and publisher. Included is correspondence with prominent Italians and Italian Americans relating to the Socialist movement in the United States and Italy, the Vietnam war, and other topics.
- Clemente, Egidio, 1899 (Person)
Language of Materials
Mostly in Italian
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Egidio Clemente (1899-1984) was born in Trieste and came to the United States in 1920 after being imprisoned during WWI for Italian sympathies. In New York and Pittsburgh, he was active in the Italian Socialist Federation of the Socialist Party of America. He also worked for La Parola del Popolo, the organ of the Italian Socialist Federation and for the anti-fascist Il Nuovo Mundo. He continued to work in the Socialist movement and in labor organizing and anti-fascist activities. During World War II, he served in United States intelligence operations in Algeria, Sicily and Rome. He received commendations for that and other activities. Died February 11, 1984 in Chicago.
5 linear feet
- Italian American socialists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian Americans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor leaders. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Egidio Clemente papers.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English