Latvian Welfare Association (Daugavas Vanagi), Minnesota Chapter records
Records (1957-1980) of Daugavas Vanagu Apvieniba Minesota (Latvian Welfare Association of Minnesota, Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota) include correspondence; material relating to other Latvian American organizations; newsletters; and miscellany. Included are materials of or relating to the Latvian Foundation, Inc.; Patiesibas Fonds (Latvian Truth Fund, Inc.); Latviska Mantojuma Fonds (Latvian Heritage Foundation); the American Latvian Association and World Federation of Free Latvians; and the national Daugavas Vanagi organization.
- Daugavas Vanagu Apvieniba Minesota. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Mainly in Latvian
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
The Minnesota branch of Daugavas Vanagi (Hawks of the River Daugava) as well as other local groups, is an outgrowth of emigration beginning in the late 1940's from the displaced persons camps in Germany and Austria. The Minnesota branch was founded in 1952. Primarily intended as a veterans' welfare organization, it has become more politically active over the years. The Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, branch is active in anti-communist activity and with other organizations in arranging ethnic events. It also has a choir and publishes an occasional bulletin.
2 Linear Feet
A related collection at IHRCA is the Records of Dauvagas Vanagi A.S.V. (Latvian Welfare Association).
- Latvian Americans -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Latvian Americans -- Minnesota -- Saint Paul -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Latvian Americans -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Latvian Welfare Association (Daugavas Vanagi), Minnesota Chapter records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area