Jarven Kukka Temperance Society (Sparta and Gilbert, Minnesota) records
Records (1897-1921) of the Jarven Kukka Temperance Society of Gilbert and Sparta, Minn. include minutes, membership, and account books.
- Jarven Kukka Temperance Society (Sparta and Gilbert, Minn.). (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
The Jarven Kukka Temperance Society was organized in Sparta, Minnesota, in 1897. It was transferred from Sparta to the neighboring town Gilbert, Minnesota in 1909, when the town of Sparta was forced to move from its original location because of the development of new iron ore mines. The majority of Sparta’s residents moved at that time to Gilbert.
The income for the society came mainly from membership dues and receipts from parties which were frequently arranged. In 1898 the Jarven Kukka Society built its own building (haali), and this was rented out to other clubs in the town, as well. After moving to Gilbert, the society also had its own hall there. The activities, however, evidently were gradually decreasing, because on August 8, 1921 the Temperance Society had such large debts that it was forced to give up its building, all of its real estate, and movable property. After that point there was no available records. Therefore, it seems likely that the society must have gone out of existence near the end of 1921.
2 Linear Feet
The papers of the Jarven Kukka Temperance Society of Sparta and Gilbert, Minnesota were deposited in the Immigrant Archives in August 1971. They were a gift of William Hervi of Eveleth, Minnesota, and were secured through the efforts of Michael G. Karni, Administrative Fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies, University of Minnesota. The collection consists of nine legal size folders (i.e., ledgers) and was processed in 1973.
- Finnish Americans -- Minnesota -- Gilbert. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- Minnesota -- Sparta. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Temperance -- societies, etc. -- Minnesota -- Gilbert. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Temperance -- societies, etc. -- Minnesota -- Sparta. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area