Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter records
Records (1906-1953) of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter and related organizations (Nashwauk, Minnesota) consist of twenty-two ledgers reflecting Finnish organization activity in Nashwauk. Included are minutes, membership ledgers; and financial records.
- Creation: 1906-1953
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
In 1905, Finnish workers in the mining community of Nashwauk, Minnesota organized a local Finnish Socialist Club which in 1906 became the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Federation Chapter, affiliated with the Finnish Socialist Federation. The Chapter continued to use the Finnish Socialist Federation name until 1924, when its name was changed to the Nashwauk Worker's Party Chapter. In 1925, the Worker's Party abolished its ethnic chapters and the Nashwauk Finns founded a local Finnish Workers' Association. In 1932 the name was again changed to the Finnish Workers' Educational Society and that name was used until the group's termination in 1952. The hall built by the original group in 1909 had been used throughout and was eventually incorporated as the Finnish Hall Corporation. It was donated to the Nashwauk Elanto Cooperative, and the cash on hand given to the Perch Lake Cooperative summer camp. In 1908, the women of the original Socialist Club organized a sewing circle which existed as a women's auxiliary throughout the various name changes of the parent organization. In 1929 the auxiliary became the Nashwauk Finnish Women's Cooperative Guild which existed until 1953.
2.5 Linear Feet
The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Club have been divided into two general categories: 1) the parent organization and 2) its auxiliaries. All of the records have been organized so that for each section the minutes of meetings are listed first, membership ledgers second, and financial records are listed last. There are six subdivisions within this collection:
I. The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter and its successors, 1905-1957 (folders 1-9) II. The minutes of the Nashwauk Socialist Chapter Debating Club, 1908-1909 (folder 10) III. The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter Entertainment Committee, 1913-1920 (folders 11-16) IV. The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter Lending Library, 1909-1929 (folder 17) V. The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Athletic Society, 1920-1922 (folder 18) VI. The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Cooperative Women's Guild, 1926-1953 (folders 19-23)
The records of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter and related organizations consist of 22 ledgers which reflect Finnish organizational activity in Nashwauk between 1906 and 1953. They were acquired by Reino Kero of the University of Turku, Finland from Mr. Fred Torma of Nashwauk, Minnesota. The papers were donated by the University of Turku to the Immigration History Research Center at the University of Minnesota. All of the material in the collection is in Finnish. The collection was processed during 1977 by Timo Riippa, Research Assistant at the Immigration History Research Center.
Several ledgers which are a part of this collection were deposited by Fred Torma at the Minnesota Historical Society. (See related materials)
- Inventory of the Nashwauk Finnish Socialist Chapter records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English