Skip to main content

Darrell Nicholson papers

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: IHRC1679

Abstract

The collection of Darrell Nicholson contains papers pertaining to the Finn Creek Open Air Museum in New York Mills, Minnesota, and to the Minnesota Finnish American Historical Society (MFAHS). Included are records, financial statements and correspondence of the MFAHS and the Museum, newspaper clippings, newsletters of the MFAHS ("Seuranlehti") and the Minnesota Historical Society ("Interpreter"), membership lists of the MFAHS, minutes of Finn Creek board meetings, history of Finn Creek written by Einar Saarela, papers and ads pertaining to fund-raising for the Museum, Finn Creek brochures, illustrations and photographs, maps of the Museum area, and Finn Creek calendars. Also other materials: hymn books, St. Urho's Day materials, Atlases of Otter Tail County, MN, containing maps, plats of the townships, rural directory and pictures of farms and families, issues of Minnesota newspapers, materials about farming, and miscellany.

Dates

  • 1960-1990

Language of Materials

English

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.

HISTORICAL SKETCH

Darrell Nicholson is a Minneapolis teacher who has been the Finn Creek project director. The Finn Creek is an open air museum located in New York Mills, Minnesota. The New York Mills chapter of Minnesota Finnish American Historical Society purchased the farm from Tapio family in 1974 and began transforming it into an open air museum. Opened to the public in 1977, the farm became also home to Nicholson and his family. The farmstead was originally founded by Finnish immigrant Siffert Tapio, who moved to the United States in the late 1880s. The Siffert and Wilhelmiina Tapio family moved onto the farmstead in 1901. Mr. Tapio died in 1933, and Mrs. Tapio left the farm in 1948. Nowadays, The Finn Creek Open Air Museum is an 18-acre interpretive site devoted to preserving the heritage of the Finnish culture. The museum includes an original 1900 farmstead, log barns, "Savu" smoke sauna, sawmill and gift shop.

Extent

1 Linear foot

Title
Inventory of the Darrell Nicholson papers.
Author
IHRC Archives
Date
2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding Aid in English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-4800