Milford Finnish Relief Committee (Milford, New Hampshire) records
Records (1939-1941) of the Milford, N.H., Finnish Relief Committee contain correspondence; lists of contributors; receipts; and miscellaneous newspaper clippings on the relief effort. Correspondents include Herbert Hoover; Oskari Tokoi; the Finnish consulate in New York; the Finnish legation in Washington, D.C.; the Finnish Relief Fund, Inc.; and New Hampshire senators.
- Milford Finnish Relief Committee (Milford, N.H.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
English and Finnish
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
The Milford (New Hampshire) Finnish Relief Committee was formed in 1939 when the local club of the Finnish American League for Democracy elected a committee to begin relief efforts in the Milford area. Finnish relief efforts had begun prior to the 1939 Russo-Finnish conflict when Finnish Americans sent funds to aid in evacuation of Finnish civilians. Funds were also raised to support families of Finnish men called into the army reserves. Aid was channeled first through the Finnish embassy and then also through Herbert Hoover's Finnish Relief Fund, Inc., as well as being sent directly to relief organizations in Finland. The Milford Chapter raised over eleven hundred dollars by sponsoring coffee parties, dances, and collection drives.
5 linear inches
The papers of the Milford Finnish Relief Committee of Milford, New Hampshire were deposited at the Immigration History Research Center in 1974. They were secured from Ms. Veina Kokko of Milford, New Hampshire through the efforts of Dr. Michael G. Karni, Administrative Fellow at the Immigration Heritage Research Center, University of Minnesota. The collection was processed in 1976 by Timo Riipa, Research Assistant.
- Diplomatic and consular service, Finnish -- New York (N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diplomatic and consular service, Finnish -- Washington (D.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- New Hampshire -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Civilian relief -- Finland. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Milford Finnish Relief Committee (Milford, New Hampshire) records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area