Walter and Valeria Nurczynski papers
Papers consist of correspondence, newspaper clippings, sheet music (mostly of songs sung by Valeria), radio scripts, and financial reports of the Polish War Relief Committee of Boston (ca. 1944). Also included are correspondence and photographs of Alexandra J. Jaskolski and papers of Karol Jaskolski.
- Nurczynski, Walter, 1893?-1962 (Person)
Language of Materials
English and Polish
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
Valeria (or Valerie) Wycke Nurczynski was born in Lodz, Poland on December 30th, 1897. She came to Boston to study voice and became a citizen of the United States in 1920. Valeria was involved in various clubs and societies in Boston. She was in charge of publicity for the Massachusetts Federation of Polish Women’s Clubs and chairman of United Women’s Society of Greater Boston. She was president of the Polish Order of Eaglets and also served as the regional chairman for the Kosciuszko Foundation Presentee Ball in 1957. Valeria founded and performed in the Chorus Lira of Boston in addition to doing solo performances. Walter Nurczynski was born in Poland in 1893. He produced the Boston area radio program “Echoes of Poland” from 1937 to 1944. Walter was also the chairman of the Polish War Relief Committee in Boston in 1943.
4.5 Linear Feet
Collection was donated by A. Jaskolski in 1982. The collection was processed in April 2015 by Katie McCormick.
Related collections at IHRC are Papers of Alexandra J. (Nurczynski) Jaskolski; Papers of Karol T. Jaskolski; and Papers of Anthony Nurczynski.
- Ethnic radio broadcasting. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polish American musicians. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polish Americans -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Music. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polish Americans -- Massachusetts -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Civilian relief -- Poland. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Walter and Valeria Nurczynski papers.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area