Order Sons of Italy in America, National Office records
Records of the Order Sons of Italy in America National Office include records of Supreme Conventions (1955-1987); Supreme Council minutes (1954-1987); National Foundation minutes (1960-1987); correspondence of national officers (1957-1982); financial ledgers, audits, and vouchers of the Supreme Lodge and National Foundation; records of the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum, the Immigration and Naturalization Commission, the Anti-Defamation Committee, OSIA News and a multitude of other committees and projects. Per capita reports and correspondence with all grand lodges and local lodges located outside the realm of grand lodges composes a large section of records. Fraternal pacts with local lodges in Bermuda and the Grand Bahamas are present, as well as records on charities, including those for birth defects, and earthquakes in Italy.
- Order Sons of Italy in America. National Office. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Mainly in English; some items in Italian
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
The Order Sons of Italy in America was founded in New York City in 1905. Its national office remained in Manhattan until the mid 1950s, when it was moved to Philadelphia. In 1981 the office was relocated to a new building in Washington, D.C.
151 Linear Feet
- Disaster relief -- Italy. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Earthquakes -- Italy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian Americans -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italians -- Bermuda -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italians -- Grand Bahamas -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Order Sons of Italy in America, National Office records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area