Vito Pittaro papers
Papers (1891-1952) of Vito Pittaro (1864-1951), a banker, journalist, author, playwright, and poet from Stamford, Connecticut, include biographical materials, correspondence, typescripts, writings, notary papers, memorabilia, miscellany, photographs, and newspaper clippings. Also included are records of and information pertaining to the Italian Cooperative and Investment Company (Stamford), the Stamford Italo-American Historical Society, La Societa Operaia, and Societa Italiana di Mutuo Succorso Vittorio Emanuele III.
- Pittaro, Vito, 1864-1951 (Person)
Language of Materials
Italian and English
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
Vito Pittaro (1864-1951), a prominent business and civic leader in the Stamford, Connecticut Italian community, was born in San Fele, Province of Potenza, Italy. He graduated from the Universita di Napoli, and came to the United States when he was 26, settling in Stamford around 1894. He was editor of several Italian American serials and newspapers, and co-founder, with Pietro P. Vescio, of La Tribuna in Stamford. He also founded La Societa Operaia and the Istituto Italiano di Stamford (1910), and was the author of a history of the Italians in Stamford. Pittaro was also a banker, taught night school classes, was the first Italian notary public in Stamford, and was active in the Italian Co-operative and Commercial Co. (Stamford, Connecticut). Vito Pittaro died in 1951.
4 Linear Feet
- Ethnic press Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian American authors. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian American newspapers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian American press Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian Americans -- Connecticut -- Stamford -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Vito Pittaro papers.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English