Polish Union of the United States of North America records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Records (1939-1971) of the Polish Union of the United States of North America (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania) include miscellaneous and published materials of the Union, audits, correspondence, materials pertaining to the Polish Review, and a jubilee album. Also included are correspondence, reports, minutes, newspaper clippings, ledgers of contributions, and press releases of the Anthracite Relief Committee for Poland (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 1939-1942), and correspondence, minutes, newsletters, and other materials pertaining to various organizations, among them the American Red Cross, Community War Chests, Centrum Przyjacidt Zolinierza Polskiego, the Polish National Alliance, World War II refugees, the work of the Polish YMCA in the Middle East, and newspaper clippings of the Polish American Council (1942-1945).
Language of Materials
Polish and English
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
A fraternal benefit and insurance society, the Polish Union of the United States of North America was founded in 1890 in St. Paul, Minnesota. After six years, the Union was moved to Buffalo, New York, and then to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. It was incorporated in 1907 under the name Polish Union of America and took its present name by charter amendment in 1921. After World War II, the Union became a member of the Polish American Congress. The Union provides insurance, scholarships, and charitable support for Polish Americans. During World War II, it organized the Anthracite Relief Committee, joining other institutions in the fight against the common enemy. The Polish Union of the United States of North America came into existence in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1890. The original group numbered ninety-five, however, only three years later 3,000 names were on the rolls. The Union was a benefit society, as well as a fraternal body, and had ultimately united over 50,000 Poles and Americans of Polish descent. After six years in St. Paul the headquarters were moved to Buffalo, New York and subsequently to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, where the organization has experienced its greatest development. The Polish Union was first incorporated on March 18, 1907 under the name "Polish Union of America". On September 6, 1921, the charter was amended and the name changed to Polish Union of the United States of North America. The Pole who was coming to America in increasing numbers during the period of the Union's expansion found in it answers to many of his problems. It gave him courage, comradeship and security. The Union has helped in educating numerous Poles and Americans of Polish descent through scholarships, and it has supported charities, orphanages and educational institutions. When war broke out between Germany and Poland, the Anthracite Relief Committee was organized by the Union to help the needy. Later the Union's relief committee joined other institutions in organizing the fight against the mutual enemy. After World War II, the Polish Union of the United States of North America became a member of the Polish American Congress.
5 linear inches
Through the efforts of Edward V. Kolyszko, the Polish Union of the United States of North America collection was deposited in the Immigration History Research Center in April, 1972. Primarily in Polish, the papers consist of organizational correspondence, minutes, newspapers, publications, financial reports and records of activities of the Polish Union (specifically the Anthracite Relief Committee for Poland, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania), and the Polish American Council. The collection was processed during September, 1975.
- Friendly societies. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Insurance, Fraternal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polish Americans -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Refugees -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Civilian relief -- Poland. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English