Onni B. Saari papers
Papers (1900-1965) of Onni Saari (1887-198- ) consist of personal correspondence, including letters to Saari's first wife Aino Saari; materials on Finnish Americans and their activities; materials on the Finnish American press; writings; and materials on the Ashburnham (Massachusetts) Farmers' Club, the United Co-operative Farms, and other cooperative activities. The collection includes histories of Finns in Friberg, Worcester, and Westminster (Massachusetts) and Troy (New Hampshire) written for the WPA Federal Writers Project.
- Saari, Onni, 1887- (Person)
Language of Materials
English and Finnish
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
Onni Saari (1887-198- ) was born in Finland and attended secondary school there before he came to the United States. He studied at the Work People's College in Duluth, Minnesota and later at the Cass Technical High School in Detroit, Michigan. He served at various times as editor of the Finnish American and Finnish Canadian Socialist and Communist newspapers such as Raivaaja, Tyomies, Sosialisti, Eteenpain and Vapaus. He co-edited an English-Finnish dictionary with Santeri Nuorteva and translated numerous books from English into Finnish. In his later years, he made his home in Ashburnham, Massachusetts where he owned and operated a summer resort, remaining active in cooperative activities and writing on labor and political issues for various Finnish newspapers.
3 Linear Feet
- Finnish American journalists. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish American press. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- Massachusetts -- Friberg -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- Massachusetts -- Westminister -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- Massachusetts -- Worcester -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Onni B. Saari papers.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area