Women’s Co-operative Guild (Virginia, Minnesota) records
Records (1952-1975) of the Virginia, Minnesota Women's Co-op Guild include two scrapbooks of the organization's activities and of the Virginia area people and events, many of them Finnish related. Also included is a dues and membership notebook and a file of correspondnece concerning the summer camp program sponsored by the organization.
- Virginia, Minnesota Women's Coop Guild. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
The Women's Co-operative Guild was founded in Virginia, Minnesota on November 9, 1939 by a group of mostly Finnish American women. It was affiliated with the Range Educational Society, an association of co-operative organizations in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin under the umbrella of the Northern States Cooperative Guilds and Clubs of the Central Cooperatives, Incorporated, headquartered in Superior, Wisconsin.
The Women's Co-operative Guild frequently met at the Carpenters Hall in Virginia. It orgainzed social events for members on their birthdays and anniversaries, Mothers' Day celebrations, rummage sales, crafts demonstrations and Christmas parties. Among its activities, it also operated a summer youth camp on Perch Lake near Chisholm, Minnesota, for girls and boys from the area, a large number of whom came from Finnish American families. The Guild celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1989.
1 Linear foot
A related collection at the IHRC Archives is the records of the Northern States Cooperative Guilds and Clubs (Superior, Wisconsin).
- Camps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cooperative societies -- Minnesota -- Virginia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish American women -- Minnesota -- Virginia -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finnish Americans -- Minnesota -- Virginia -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Minnesota -- Virginia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Women’s Co-operative Guild (Virginia, Minnesota) records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English