Skip to main content

EELK Baltimore Markuse Kogudus (St. Mark Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Baltimore, Maryland) records

 Collection
Identifier: IHRC3091
Collection consists of minute books, letters of membership applications and membership lists, activity reports, financial reports and budgets, correspondence, circulars and communications, congregation's bulletin "Koguduse Teataja", booklets of church services and concert programmes, newspaper clippings, clergyman's documents (marriage licences, photos, letters, notes, calendars, invitations), writings about the congregation by Aleksander Johannes Leinjärv, records about the Estonian literature and poetry evenings (probably collected by A. J. Leinjärv).There are also documents from the other Estonian Ev. Lutheran congregation in Baltimore (minute books).

Dates

  • 1949-1994

Creator

Language of Materials

Estonian, English

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Extent

3 Linear Feet

HISTORICAL SKETCH

Estonian Evangelical Luhteran Church St. Mark's Congregation in Baltimore was founded in 11.03.1951 with 120 members and has been meeting at St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Chuch. The Congregation was incorporated in 1959. Elmar Pähn, who helped to organize the church, was also elected as the pastor. He was succeeded by pastor Uno Plank, followed by pastors Max Saar in 1972, Rudolf Troost in 1982, Michael G. Viise in 1991, Endel Ulp, Alar Helstein in 1995-1996 and several guest pastors. Heino Nurk was elected as the guest pastor in 2002.Estonian Baltimore congregation had subordinate congregation, the Washington St. Mark's Congregation. Two congregations merged in 1982.

PROVENANCE

Collection transferred to the IHRC from the Estonian Archives in the U.S.A. (EAU) in 2003-2005. It was processed as part of a collaborative project between the Estonian Archives in the USA (Lakewood, New Jersey), the National Archives of Estonia (NAE), the BaltherNet non-profit network, and the IHRC Archives in May 2014. Birgit Nurme and Pille Aguraiuja of the National Archives in Tallinn, Estonia, worked with IHRC staff on the project.

RELATED COLLECTIONS

IHRC 3085 - Baltimore Eesti Selts (Baltimore Estonian Society)IHRC 3072 - Baltimore Eesti Maja (Baltimore Estonian House)
Author
IHRC Archives
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding Aid in English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-4800