Skip to main content

Eesti Kogudused Austraalias (Estonian Congregations in Australia) records

 Collection
Identifier: IHRC3222

Abstract

Collection consists mainly of documents from the Estonian St. John's Church in Sydney (bulletins and a collection of church songs), Adelaide Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation (bulletin "Lõunaristi All" 1958, 1966-1990), and a small amount of various booklets.

Dates

  • 1956-1992

Language of Materials

Estonian, English

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

HISTORICAL SKETCH

As of 2014, there are 4 active Estonian Lutheran Congregations in Australia: in Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney. Adelaide Church was founded in 1949 and Oskar Juul was appointed as the resident pastor. Johannes Aarik served as the pastor in 1962-2000, followed by pastor Andres Palm. Hans Kannusaar is the most recent chairman of the Church Council (previously headed by A. Hanson, M. Murro, A. Kannusaar and V. Kangur). Canberra Lutheran Church was officially founded in 1954 when Hugo Jaanus was elected as pastor. Hans Henning Lüdig served as a pastor in 1987-1999, Meelis Rosma since 2007 and Hugo Mitt heads the Church Council. Melbourne St. Paul Church was founded in 1949 by Uno Stockholm, Harry Haldma and Hilda Rendit were elected as the chairmen of the Church Council. Ilmar Ainsaar was appointed as resident pastor in 1955 after the death of U. Stockholm and by that time the congregation had grown to 600 members. Pastor Aadu Meeksi served in 1970-1982, after that the congregation had several australian pastors and moved from one church to another. Hektor Mesilane was the president of the Council in 2014. Sydney St. John Church was founded in 1934 by pastor Kurt Gielov. Friedrich Stockholm, Einar Kiviste, Hans Henning Lüdig and Allan Taruste have served as pastors before Meelis Rosma took over as the resident pastor in 2007. Maret Noble was the president of the Church Council in 2014.

Extent

5 linear inches

PROVENANCE

Collection transferred to the IHRC from the Estonian Archives in the U.S.A. (EAU) in 2003-2005. It was processed as part of a collaborative project between the Estonian Archives in the USA (Lakewood, New Jersey), the National Archives of Estonia (NAE), the BaltherNet non-profit network, and the IHRC Archives in May 2014. Birgit Nurme and Pille Aguraiuja of the National Archives in Tallinn, Estonia, worked with IHRC staff on the project.
Title
Inventory of the Eesti Kogudused Austraalias (Estonian Congregations in Australia) records.
Author
IHRC Archives
Date
2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding Aid in English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-4800