Misericordia Society (Saint Louis, Missouri) records
Anniversary booklets, clippings, programs regarding the Misericordia Society (Societa di Mutuo Soccorso Maria SS. Della Misericordia). Included is also information pertaining to Caesare Avigni, long ttime editor of "Il Pensiero", an Italian American newspaper published in St. Louis since 1904. (Avigni wrote about the Society in "Il Pensiero" in 1945.)
- Creation: 1941-2000
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
For further information regarding the copyright, please contact the IHRCA.
The Misericordia Society was founded in Saint Louis, Missouri, in 1920 by a group of Italian immigrants from Sicily as a mutual aid association (chartered in 1921). The Society was headquartered at the St. Charles Borromeo Church, the first Italian church in the city. The name of the Society comes from Maria Santissima Della Misericordia (Our Lady of Mercy), a popular patron saint among the Sicilian members of the community.
2 linear inches
Collection acquired from Marianne Peri Sack of Saint Louis, Missouri in August 2001. Additional material was donated by Gary Mormino of Tampa, Florida in 2001.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English