Lakewoodi Eesti Ühing (Lakewood Estonian Association) records
Annual reports, programs, ledgers, newspaper clippings
- Lakewoodi Eesti Ühing (Lakewood Estonian Association) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
In 1945 a group of twenty-eight Estonians formed the Lakewood Estonian Association. Officers were elected and a constitution was adopted. Land was donated by Konstantin Lacht at Cross Street and New Egypt Road in Jackson Township for the building of the clubhouse. The Association was incorporated in 1946 and its first president, Konstantin Lacht, was elected. The main purpose of the Lakewood Estonian Association is the promotion of cultural, educational, youth, social and sports activities. The Lakewood Estonian Association is an umbrella organization. It has included such clubs as the following: Bridge, Garden, Senior Citizens, Chess, Stamp, and Teens. A branch of the Estonian War Veterans, the Legion of Estonian Liberation, Inc., has its local chapter within the Association. Since 1950 the Association has also operated the Lakewood Estonian School.
1 Linear foot
Collection transferred to the IHRC from the Estonian Archives in the U.S.A. (EAU) in 2003-2005. It was processed as part of a collaborative project between the Estonian Archives in the USA (Lakewood, New Jersey), the National Archives of Estonia (NAE), and the IHRC in March 2010. Margit Laanemets and Kristel Tammik of the National Archives in Tallinn, Estonia, worked with IHRC staff on the project.
- Community life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cultural heritage Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Estonian Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Youth Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventory of the Lakewoodi Eesti Ühing (Lakewood Estonian Association) records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area