Tartu Ülikool (University of Tartu, Estonia) records
DESCRIPTION OF THE COLLECTION
1. Overview of the history of the university, letters, invitations, list of student affiliations in 1929
2. Magazine 'Üliõpilasleht', Tartu 1920
3. Brochures, prints, post cards
4. Newspaper clippings
Language of Materials
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
OWNERSHIP & LITERARY RIGHTS
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
The University of Tartu was founded in 1632 by the Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus. It was initially called Academia Dorpatensis. The necessary preparations for creating a university in Tartu (then Dorpat) were made by Johan Skytte, governor general of Livonia. On account of the Russian Swedish war the University of Tartu moved to Tallinn in 1656 and in 1665 it closed down. The University was re-opened by the Baltic Germans in Estonia in 1802. After Estonia became independent in 1818, the University of Tartu has been an Estonian-language institution since 1919. The university was named Ostland-Universität in Dorpat during the German occupation of Estonia in 1941-1944 and Tartu State University (Estonian: Tartu Riiklik Ülikool) in 1940-1941 and 1944-1989, during the Soviet occupation. UT is Estonia’s leading centre of research and training. It preserves the culture of the Estonian people and spearheads the country’s reputation in research and provision of higher education.
1 Linear Feet
Magazines, brochures, newspaper clippings, letters, programs
Collection transferred to the IHRC from the Estonian Archives in the U.S.A. (EAU) in 2003-2005. It was processed as part of a collaborative project between the Estonian Archives in the USA (Lakewood, New Jersey), the National Archives of Estonia (NAE), and the IHRC in March 2010. Margit Laanemets and Kristel Tammik of the National Archives in Tallinn, Estonia, worked with IHRC staff on the project.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding Aid in English