Latvian Welfare Association (Daugavas Vanagi), National Office records
The collection consists mainly of minutes from national and international meetings from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s. Newsletters and periodicals have been removed from the manuscript collection and added to the IHRC serials collection.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Daugavas Vanagi organization (literally translated as "Hawks of the River Daugava," but having adopted the English title Latvian Welfare Association) was formed in 1945 by Latvian war veterans in Belgian displaced persons camps, for the purpose of uniting veterans and providing a system of social welfare. The Daugavas Vanagi ideology is based on four basic principles: unity, loyalty, fraternity, and trust. Membership in the organization consists of vanagi (hawks --- male members) and vanadzes (hens --- the ladies' auxiliary). As Daugavas Vanagi members left the displaced persons camps and resettled elsewhere, local and national branches were founded, responsible to a central organization. Local DV groups sent representatives to yearly meetings at which members were elected to national boards. Those elected to the national boards then participated in the global DV organization. Daugavas Vanagi is still active to this date.
1 Linear foot
- Inventory of the Latvian Welfare Association (Daugavas Vanagi), National Office records.
- IHRC Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Immigration History Research Center Archives Collecting Area