New York YMCA Board of Trustees records
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The New York YMCA Board of TrRustees collections consists of audit reports, investment reports, minutes, organizational charts and graphs, bank statements, and treasurer's account statements.
- Majority of material found within ( 1960-1980)
- YMCA of Greater New York. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF THE YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Young Men's Christian Association of the City of New York was established in 1852 to provide young men new to the city a Christian alternative to the attractions of city life. Organized in the Mercer Street Presbyterian Church, the New York YMCA first operated from several rented facilities in lower Manhattan. In 1869, the organization moved into a large building at East 23rd Street and Fourth Avenue designed by noted church architect James Renwick, Jr.
By 1865, the finances of the New York YMCA had become complex enough that a Board of Trustees was established to provide oversight of the organization's assets. The first Board of Trustees consisted of Frederick Marquand, James L. Stokes, Jonathan Sturges, Stewart Brown, Robert L. Kennedy, Charles C. Colgate, James K. Place, and Robert L. Stuart. The primary job of the initial board was to manage the real estate holdings of the organization. This management was not just financial; the board was directed to ensure that no intoxicating liquors or games of chance would be allowed on the properties they managed. Later trustees also oversaw endowments.
The Board of Trustees continued in this capacity until around 1990 (although without the initial prohibitions), after which it merged with the Board of Directors.
3.5 Cubic Feet (8 boxes)
Records of the Board of Trustees of the YMCA of Greater New York.
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, November 2015.
Catalog Record ID number: 9974063208701701
- New York (N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian Association of the City of New York
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK: BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- An Inventory of Its Records
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note