Bronx YMCA photographs
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The Bronx branch YMCA photo collection includes images documenting the first and second buildings housing the Bronx Union branch of the YMCA of Greater New York. The largest group of images relate to athletic activities at the branch. There are also a number of posed group photos, primarily interior shots. The majority of the photos are professional black and white 8 x 10 prints. The collection also includes a small number of snapshots and negatives.
- Majority of material found within ( 1930-1960).
- YMCA of Greater New York. Bronx Branch. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF BRONX UNION YMCA
The Bronx Union branch of the YMCA of Greater New York was organized in 1904 after merging with the Young Men's Christian Union, operating in the Bronx since 1888. In 1915 the branch moved into a new building at 161st Street and Washington Avenue and was designated as one of the four "general" YMCA branches in New York City. It boasted "the largest pool in New York City" and included a dormitory for more than 800 and a motion-picture auditorium. The branch excelled at competitive sports, and produced the National Junior Handball Champion in 1960. In 1977, the Bronx Union branch merged with the Westchester-Bronx branch to become the Bronx YMCA.
Information taken from The YMCA at 150: A History of the YMCA of Greater New York, 1852-2002by Pamela Bayless, 2002.
.75 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Collected photographs from the Bronx branch of the YMCA of Greater New York, primarily exterior and interior building shots and athletic activities, as well as group photos.
ORGANIZATION/ARRANGEMENT OF THE RECORDS
These documents are organized into the following sections:
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, May 2008.
Catalog Record ID number: 5286248
- Athletics -- New York (State) -- Bronx. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bronx (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA of Greater New York. Bronx Branch.
- YMCA of Greater New York. Bronx-Union Branch.
- Young Men's Christian Union (Bronx, N.Y.)
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK BRONX BRANCH:
- An Inventory of its Photographs
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kautz Family YMCA Archives Collecting Area