McBurney YMCA photographs
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The McBurney YMCA photograph collection includes many images created before 1900 when the branch operated from the 1869 building at Fourth Avenue and 23rd Street. Included in the early photos are images of the building exterior and interior, including photographs of the gymnasium, parlor, reading room and library, auditorium and others, including one image labeled, "Early action picture". Later photos include many images of the facade of the 1904 building at 23rd Street and Seventh Avenue that replaced the 1869 structure. In addition, the collection includes photographs illustrating dormitory life and materials related to the YMCA Trade and Technical School and the Walter Hervey Junior College.
- Majority of material found within ( 1880-1950)
- YMCA of Greater New York. McBurney Branch (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF MCBURNEY BRANCH
The first permanent home of the McBurney Branch of the New York YMCA began as the headquarters of the New York association in 1869, a role it played until 1887. The French Renaissance building, designed by notable New York architect James Renwick, Jr., and renamed the 23rd Street YMCA in 1887, was the first purpose-built YMCA building in the US. In 1904 the 23rd Street “Y” moved west to 7th Avenue, into a state-of-the art building with a roof garden, a cork running track, and a marble lined swimming pool; it was thought to be the finest YMCA building in the United States and cost $850,000. In 1943 the branch was renamed in honor of Robert Ross McBurney, an Irish immigrant who rose from librarian of the New York association in 1862 to chief executive in 1883, a post he held until his death in 1898. He is known as the first paid secretary of the YMCA.
The McBurney branch operated or participated in a number of educational efforts, including Chelsea School, Eastern Association School, various night schools, New York Institute of Accountancy, Walter Hervey Junior College and a Trade and Technical School. After the end of World War II, the YMCA in New York City determined that it would focus on the college prep school adjacent to the West Side YMCA, the McBurney School, and most of the other educational efforts were disbanded; the Walter Hervey Junior College closed in 1957.
(Information taken from The YMCA at 150: A History of the YMCA of Greater New York 1852-2002, by Pamela Bayless (2002) and from the collection)
.75 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Black and white photographs of the McBurney Branch of the YMCA of Greater New York. Subjects include buildings, programs and activities. The collection is particularly rich in photos from the period before 1900.
ORGANIZATION/ARRANGEMENT OF THE RECORDS
These documents are organized into the following sections:
Programs and activities.
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, March 2009.
Catalog Record ID number: 5410542
- Chelsea (Manhattan, New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New York (N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trade schools -- New York (State) -- New York. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Walter Hervey Junior College (New York, N.Y.)
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men’s Christian Association of the City of New York. Twenty-third Street Branch
- YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK MCBURNEY BRANCH:
- An Inventory of its Photographs
- Louise Merriam
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note