Grosvenor Neighborhood House YMCA records
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
Records of the Grosvenor Neighborhood House branch of the New York YMCA include administrative records such as financial statements, memoranda of understanding, committee descriptions, personnel policies, correspondence, and by-laws and amendments focusing primarily on the period immediately before and after the merger with the YMCA of Greater New York.
- YMCA of Greater New York. Grosvenor Neighborhood House (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF GROSVENOR NEIGHBORHOOD HOUSE
Grosvenor Neighborhood House, currently located on 105th Street on Manhattan's Upper West Side, has a long history of serving children and families in New York City. Founded in 1916 as a settlement house, Grosvenor Neighborhood House has moved numerous times since it opened its doors at 405 East 50th Street, giving neighborhood children an opportunity to receive a hot lunch and wholesome activities. In 1963, Grosvenor Neighborhood House began operations in its current location, at 105th Street and Amsterdam Avenue, focusing on traditional settlement house activities such as day care, tutoring, performing arts, summer camping and athletics.
In 1975, the YMCA of Greater New York and Grosvenor House began exploring the possibility of a merger. Today, Grosvenor Neighborhood House is an operating center of the West Side YMCA, providing programs for children and youth.
Information taken from websites and from the collection.
1.75 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Collected documents related to the relationship and merger between Grosvenor Neighborhood House and the YMCA of Greater New York as well as operating documents that governed the merged organizations.
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, May 2012.
Catalog Record ID number: 6386126
- Grosvenor Neighborhood House (New York, N.Y.).
- Manhattan (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social settlements -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social work with youth -- New York (State) -- New York. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- YMCA of Greater New York. West Side Branch
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK GROSVENOR NEIGHBORHOOD HOUSE:
- An Inventory of Its Records
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kautz Family YMCA Archives Collecting Area