Flushing YMCA photographs
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The photographs of the Flushing YMCA focus on the 1960s, although the collection also includes images from the 1940s and before. The primary subject of the photographs is the building -- its construction, dedication and enlargement. There are also a significant number of photographs documenting athletics at the branch, including images of Lynn Burke, 1960 Olympic medal winner who learned to swim at the Flushing YMCA.
- Majority of material found within ( 1950s-1960s).
- YMCA of Greater New York. Flushing Branch. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF FLUSHING YMCA
The Flushing branch of the New York YMCA opened as a branch of the Brooklyn and Queens YMCA in 1926 with total construction costs of $740,956. From the beginning, membership in the Flushing Y was open to women and girls, and in 1927, 893 women and girls were listed as members. In 1968 the branch added a large wing that included an Olympic swimming pool, reflecting the importance of swimming at the Flushing branch. 1960 Olympic medalist Lynn Burke learned to swim at the branch, where her parents were swim instructors. Flushing has produced other notable swimmers, including Wayne Anderson, a breast stroker who swam in the 1964 Olympics.
Information taken from History of the Brooklyn and Queens Young Men's Christian Association 1853-1949by E. Clark Worman (1952) and from the collection.
.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Includes black and white photographs, primarily 5 x 8 images, of events, buildings and people at the Flushing YMCA in Queens, New York. The collection includes a small number of snapshot-size photographs.
ORGANIZATION/ARRANGEMENT OF THE RECORDS
These documents are organized into the following sections:
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, May 2009.
Catalog Record ID number: 5464340
- Brooklyn and Queens Young Men's Christian Association. Flushing Branch.
- Burke, Lynn, 1943-
- Flushing (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Queens (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Swimming -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA of Greater New York. Flushing Branch.
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK FLUSHING BRANCH:
- An Inventory of Its Photographs
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kautz Family YMCA Archives Collecting Area