James B. Tompkins papers
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The James B. Tompkins files primarily reflect Tompkins' involvement with New York YMCA branches in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. The items include planning documents, building plans, program funding request to the city office and to outside donors, facilities evaluation and remediation, internal and external correspondence, studies, budgets, day camps, job descriptions, service contracts with city and state agencies and departments, telephones, invoices, and vendor contracts for branches that include Bedford, Brooklyn Central, Central Queens, Chinatown, Eastern District, Eastern Queens, Flatbush, Flushing, Fort Totten, Greenpoint, Harlem, Long Island City, McBurney, Prospect Park, South Shore, Twelve Towns, Vanderbilt, and West Side.
- Tompkins, James B. (Person)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
BIOGRAPHY OF JAMES B. TOMPKINS
James B. Tompkins began his 40-year career with the YMCA in Kansas City, Missouri, where he was a branch boys secretary beginning in 1947. He later served as associate secretary for youth work at the North Central Area Council of the YMCA and as a branch executive at the Philadelphia YMCA. He went to the YMCA of Greater New York in 1964 as the executive for youth services and extension. He held a variety of executive positions in New York, including group vice-president for branches in Brooklyn and the Bronx, vice president for public affairs and director of program services. Toward the end of his career he served as a branch executive. He retired in the fall of 1987.
6.6 Cubic Feet (15 boxes)
The collection includes branch planning materials, handbooks, project reports, conference reports, speeches, financial materials and facilities information collected by James B. Tompkins during the 1970s and 1980s.
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, February 2016.
Catalog Record ID number: 9974083938501701
- Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New York (N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tompkins, James B.
- YMCA of Greater New York.
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- King's County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- JAMES B. TOMPKINS:
- An Inventory of His Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note