YMCA of Greater New York branch newsletters
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
In addition to periodical publications issued by about a dozen New York City YMCA branches, the collection includes miscellaneous publications and printed materials from the parent organizations, the YMCA of Greater New York (formerly the Young Men's Christian Association of the City of New York), and the Young Men's Christian Associations of North America.
- Majority of material found within ( 1890s-1960s)
- YMCA of Greater New York. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK
The YMCA of Greater New York began in 1852, when it met in a series of churches in lower Manhattan and was called the Young Men's Christian Association of the City of New York. Several years later, the association began leasing rooms in commercial buildings, still in lower Manhattan. Branches serving other parts of the city soon followed, although most were short-lived. In 1869, the YMCA opened its first purpose-built building at the corner of 23rd Street and Fourth Avenue (now Park Avenue South) and more long-lived branches began appearing in the 1870s and 1880s. By the turn of the century, there were several dozen branches and branch extensions in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
These branches addressed the specific needs of the communities where they were located. Many branches issued printed magazines, newsletters or pamphlets targeted at their own programs and members, providing a window into the operations of the YMCA at the local level. The practice of publishing newsletters for distribution to members and the public ended for the most part in the 1970s.
Approximately 20 Cubic Feet (59 boxes)
The collection consists of newsletters and periodical publications, both bound and unbound, mostly issued by the branches of the YMCA of Greater New York and its predecessor organizations. Also included are publications from the New York City association, the New York state association, and the YMCA of North America.
ORGANIZATION/ARRANGEMENT OF THE RECORDS
These documents are organized into the following sections:
- YMCA of Greater New York
- Young Men's Christian Associations of North America
- Bronx Union
- Brooklyn Central
- East Side
- McBurney School
- Prospect Park
- Sloane House
- West Side
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by: Louise Merriam, December 2014.
Catalog Record ID number: 9973942107201701
- Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manhattan (New York, N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Periodicals. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- YMCA of Greater New York -- Periodicals.
- Young Men's Christian Association of the City of New York -- Periodicals.
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK:
- An Inventory of Its Branch Newsletters
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note