Gilbert Beaver papers
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
Materials in this collection include letters and papers about urban social work, student affairs and the relation of church and state. Correspondence with Beaver also includes many letters from YMCA workers abroad concerning both administrative matters and personal experiences. Accounts relate the conditions in China and recount conversations with leaders such as Chiang Kai-Shek.
- Beaver, Gilbert A., 1952 (Person)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
BIOGRAPHY OF GILBERT BEAVER
Gilbert Beaver began his work for the YMCA in 1890 as the student secretary of the Pennsylvania state committee. In 1895, he moved to the student division of the International Committee to carry on John Mott's duties while Mott made his first world tour. In 1901 Beaver moved on to the New York City association as intercollegiate branch secretary. In 1909 he went back on the staff of the International Committee to work with student associations. He also worked as executive for the Committee of Friendly Relations among College Students.
Beaver was also active outside of the YMCA. During the 1920s he headed the Council of the Fellowship of Reconciliation. Later he served as associate secretary for the College Board of the Presbyterian Church and as justice of the peace in Yorktown Heights, New York.
1.0 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Correspondence and reports documenting YMCA student work and foreign work, especially in China during the early 20th century.
Material is this collection was formerly catalogued as part of the YMCA Biographical Files.
Processed by: Chan Harries, October 2004.
Catalog Record ID number: 4471402
- China -- Social conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church and state Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eddy, Sherwood, 1871-1963
- Hodgkin, Henry Theodore, 1877-1933
- Lyon, David Willard, 1870-1949
- Morse, Richard Cary, 1841-1926
- Mott, John R. (John Raleigh), 1865-1955
- Ober, Charles K. (Charles Kellogg), 1856-
- Sociology, Urban. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Student service -- United States -- History. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Young Men's Christian Associations of North America. International Committee
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- GILBERT BEAVER:
- An Inventory of His Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Chan Harries.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kautz Family YMCA Archives Collecting Area