Gayle J. Lathrop papers
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The Gayle J. Lathrop papers include historical clippings, financial development plans and proposals, branch closing information, centennial celebration items, event programs and pamphlets, board of directors minutes, boards of managers minutes, self-appraisals, planning documents, studies on religion and community relations, building and camp dedications, personal correspondence, religious publications, manuscripts, speeches, and personal notes.
- Lathrop, Gayle J. (Person)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
BIOGRAPHY OF GAYLE J. LATHROP
Gayle John Lathrop was born on January 21, 1909 in Elmore, Ohio. He grew up in Toledo, Ohio. During his high school years he was an active member and president of a Hi-Y club and worked as a YMCA camp counselor. In 1932, He graduated from the College of Wooster in Ohio. He later graduated from Yale University Graduate School. He was ordained into the United Presbyterian Church in 1936.
Gayle Lathrop's professional YMCA career began in 1938 when he was appointed secretary of the Ohio area council of YMCAs. He also served on the Columbus area council, representing student YMCAs. In 1941 he became general secretary at the Warren, Ohio YMCA. He went to New York in 1943 as director of the Intercollegiate branch, a post he held until 1948. He then became executive director of the Sloane House branch, moving to city headquarters in 1955 as executive vice president. When the New York City Association merged with the Brooklyn-Queens Association in 1957, Lathrop became the Executive Vice President of the newly formed YMCA of Greater New York, a position he held until his death in 1965.
2.4 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
The collection includes reports, event programs, planning materials, studies, reports, minutes, clippings and other materials related to branches and camping collected by Gayle J. Lathrop.
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
Processed by Louise Merriam, March 2016.
Accession YNY20180418 processed by Madeline Alft, March 2022.
Catalog Record ID number: 9974092494301701
- Camping. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lathrop, Gayle J.
- New York (N.Y.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA of Greater New York.
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- New York (State) -- New York Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- GAYLE J. LATHROP:
- An Inventory of His Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Louise Merriam in 2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note