YMCA armed services scrapbooks and photographs
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
This collection provides a visual overview of the work of the Army and Navy Department and the Armed Services Department. The Scrapbooks and Photo Albums series highlights work during World War I, including rosters of YMCA workers, scrapbooks from the American Expeditionary Forces in Koblenz, Germany, photo albums of work in Russia, women workers and canteens, as well as an extensive collection of newspaper clippings from around the United States collected by the War Work Council concerning their work in Europe. Also of interest in this collection are photo albums of Mexican Border work in the 1910s, as well as work in prisoner and resettlement camps in Europe during the World War II era. Armed services work in the Far East is documented in this collection, with a series of photo albums from the Chefoo (Yantai), China Naval YMCA, dating from the 1920s-1930s. The Photographs series documents both national and international activities between from 1901 to 1978, with the bulk of the photographs documenting the Armed Services during World War I and World War II.
- Creation: 1863-1981
- Creation: Majority of material found within ( 1900-1960).
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
77 Cubic Feet (151 boxes)
Photo albums, scrapbooks, and photographs documenting YMCA work with the United States Armed Forces, primarily documenting World War I and World War II. The scrapbooks contain some photographs and ephemera, but contain mostly newspaper clippings.
See Detailed Description section for box listing.
OTHER FINDING AIDS
See the summary inventory for the YMCA Armed Services Records for information on other Armed Services records in the Kautz Family YMCA Archives. >> Go to the summary inventory
Processed by: Chan Harries, February 2004.
Photograph series processed by Carly Lawrence, December 2014. Accession number Y20200301 added May 2022.
Catalog Record ID number: 4342425
- National Board of the Young Men's Christian Associations. Armed Services Dept. (Organization)
- National War Work Council, Y.M.C.A. of the United States (Organization)
- United States. Army. American Expeditionary Forces (Organization)
- Young Men's Christian Associations of North America. International Committee. Army and Navy Dept. (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Canteens (Establishments).
- Prisoners of war.
- Refugee camps -- France.
- Refugee camps -- Germany.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work -- Russia.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work -- Young Men's Christian associations
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons
- Young Men's Christian associations -- China
- Young Men's Christian associations -- United States
- YMCA ARMED SERVICES DEPARTMENT:
- An Inventory of Its Scrapbooks and Photographs
- Finding aid prepared by Chan Harries.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note