Records of YMCA international work in Hong Kong
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
Records of YMCA international work in Hong Kong consist of correspondence, reports, and financial records of the YMCA work in general, but also of the European and Chinese branches and of the YMCA Training Institute of Hong Kong. A significant amount of material relates to the construction of the YMCA's new building on Waterloo Road, which opened in 1966.
- Majority of material found within ( 1901-1978)
- YMCA of the USA. International Division. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
HISTORY OF YMCA INTERNATIONAL WORK IN HONG KONG
In 1899 Walter J. Southam was assigned to Hong Kong by the International Committee of the USA and Canada. By 1903, Chinese- and English-speaking branches each operated separate premises but were governed by a single board of directors. In 1908 they became two completely independent associations. The work in Hong Kong was closely associated with the work in China up to 1949. In 1961 the Council of YMCAs of Hong Kong, which joined both the Chinese and European YMCAs in Hong Kong, was officially inaugurated.
The following is a list of individuals who served as YMCA secretaries in Hong Kong, along with their dates of service, if known:
|Amsden, Lynford C. (1967)||Kreitner, Joann (1973-1974)|
|Brunger, Harry (1950-1961)||Mohler, Frank Martin (1964-1974)|
|Coleman, Katherine M. (1970-1974)||Ortmeyer, Richard Arthur (1964-1974)|
|Drake, Matthias (1960)||Patterson, Terry (1963-1964)|
|Drury, Clifton M.||Reid, John M. (1959)|
|Eng, Homer Wone Yee (1956-1959)||Rutledge, Carl Clyde (1903-1907)|
|Epperson, David Ernest (1961-1962)||Southam, Walter John (1899-1906)|
|Fong, Matthew||Stange, Karl Henry (1962-1966)|
|Glenn, William Walter (1964-1970)||Stewart, Ronald (1972-1974)|
|Gribe, Douglas (1962-1963)||Twesten, Steven R. (1975-1976)|
|Ketcham, John D. (1970-1971)||White, Frederick Glover (1921-1914)|
4.2 Cubic Feet (11 boxes)
Correspondence, reports, financial records, and printed material documenting YMCA international work in Hong Kong, including work with both the Chinese and European populations.
Processed as part of Fast Processing Project II, August 2010, as collection FP032. Material has been minimally processed. Folder descriptions may be general and material has not been grouped into series.
Catalog Record ID number: 5930189
- Brunger, Harry.
- Glenn, William F.
- Hong Kong (China) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Kowloon (China). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Moffat, Cody S. (Colin Smith)
- National Board of the Young Men's Christian Associations. International Division
- National Council of the Young Men’s Christian Associations of the United States of America. Foreign Division.
- Ortmeyer, Richard.
- Smail, Roy.
- Southam, Walter J.
- Stange, Karl.
- YMCA Institute in Hong Kong
- YMCA of the USA
- YMCA of the USA. International Division.
- Young Men's Christian Associations of North America. International Committee
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men's Christian associations -- Hong Kong. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- YMCA INTERNATIONAL WORK IN HONG KONG:
- An Inventory of Its Records
- Finding aid prepared by Lara Friedman-Shedlov.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- English, Chinese
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Kautz Family YMCA Archives Collecting Area